A general contractor is a construction company that you hire to handle all the tasks related to your building project, from that daily oversight of the construction activity to the management of building teams, vendors, daily schedules, material orders and delivery and others. The general contractor being the point of contact between you and all the other parties involved in your project, there are several very important questions to ask the contractor before entering a contract with them. Here are some of these questions:
- Previous experience – you need a contractor that specializes in the type of projects that you have, so try to find out as much as possible about the contractor’s previous work;
- The timeline – ask your general contractor to provide you a detailed project roadmap, with exact deadlines for the completion of individual project phases as well as for the completion of the project as a whole;
- Contact and communication – find out who your contact person will be and how the contractor company handles communication;
- Discuss dispute resolution – find out how the contractor handles disputes and make sure to include a dispute resolution clause into the contract as well;
- The amount of down payment – discuss every detail that was taken into account when the contractor calculated the amount they ask you to put down before the project starts.
- Make sure they have contractors commercial general liability insurance Colorado coverages to protect from financial loss resulting from claims of injury or damage caused to others.